MPH - Master of Public Health
Pursue you master’s and prepare for a variety of roles keeping our communities safe and healthy.
- Earn your master’s degree in as little as 16 months at the accelerated program pace - that’s just over a year
- All courses are 100% online with mobile-friendly content
- Student-centric approach to learning designed for your success
- Access to comprehensive Career Services support beyond graduation
- Competitive tuition with financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
MPH - Master of Public Health
Public Health is what you make it. Our online MPH program is designed for healthcare professionals that want to make a bigger difference — by assessing issues and developing comprehensive solutions that impact individuals, entire communities, and populations around the world. There are numerous benefits of an MPH degree; it can prepare you for a wide range of occupations and leadership roles that all fall under the public health category.
West Coast University's experience delivering focused curriculum offers you several clear advantages for online learning.
Preparing for new opportunities—the West Coast University online Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program has been developed to help graduates address the ways health and wellness advocacy, policy and action can have a huge impact on an ever-changing world. From disease prevention to environmental concerns, WCU helps our graduates develop the skills and confidence to have a real impact where they're needed most — and build careers making a difference.
If it's making news—well-trained public health professionals can help. From the Coronavirus pandemic to HIV — safe drinking water to waste management —nearly every issue that matters most has a public health component. An online MPH degree prepares you to follow your passion, and help where it matters most.
WCU's Online Master's in Public Health Program Advantages
We've structured our program to fit the busy lifestyles of working professionals with all coursework done online via our interactive online classroom.
- 100% online program—plus student support services internship opportunities, career services assistance and more
- Choose a pace that works for you with Accelerated and Working Professional Options
- Earn your MPH in as little as 16 months at the accelerated program pace
- Multiple starts per year
- Interdisciplinary education is built into the program to help you develop the collaborative skills needed to be part of an efficient healthcare team
- Competitive pricing — plus partner grants are available — call to see if you qualify
- Weekly live office hours with an interactive Q&A and access to faculty — participate live or watch when you have time
Support Beyond Graduation
West Coast University supports its online Master of Public Health students beyond the last day of class. We are committed to helping our graduates throughout their careers.
Through our Career Service department, we provide ongoing assistance with professional and career development through workshops and guidance for our online Master of Public Health students and graduates. We partner with industry professionals to enhance our students’ prospects for securing employment and obtaining professional success.
WCU Distance education programs are delivered out of the Orange County and Dallas campuses and may not be available to residents in all states.WCU provides career guidance and assistance but cannot guarantee employment
The Role of a Public Health Professional
We are only as healthy as the world around us. Public health professionals help assure every aspect of a healthy environment — from available resources to education that modifies behavior, and beyond. You'll inform, educate, and empower people to address and prevent health issues. Here's what leadership looks like in action:
- Monitor, research, and evaluate community health to identify and solve problems.
- Identify and investigate problems and health hazards impacting health in the community.
- Align the community to take action — engage partners to address health problems.
- Make plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Protect health and ensure safety by making sure laws are enforced.
- Connect people with resources—ensuring health services are available.
- Play a role in policy — ensuring a level of competency for the community’s healthcare workforce.
At WCU, you are not alone. You have the support and guidance that will help you achieve your professional goals. Our online classes are energizing, engaging and enriched with video content, simulations, adaptive quizzing and on-the-go resources — to help you stay connected wherever you are. WCU's Master of Public Health online program is simple to navigate and easy to use while we support you with clear and continuous access to your instructors, peers, student services and our 24/7 technical support.
Hands-on experience is an important part of building leadership skills. That's why West Coast University assists online MPH students in finding a variety of internship opportunities—leveraging our relationships with the Red Cross, local organizations, and International internship partners to help place you in a rewarding and intellectually challenging environment.
Professionals with a master’s degree in public health can work in a variety of organizations and fields, including:
- State and County Departments
- Public Health Departments
- Federal Agencies (e.g., CDS, USDA, EPA)
- Healthcare Associations
- Non-Profit Sectors/Private Foundations
- Women, Infant and Children (WIC)
- Mental Health Organizations
- Urban Planning (Built Environments)
- Community Based Organizations
- Universities and research institutions
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- FEMA and Disaster Management
- Law Enforcement
- Community Health
- Health Care as a Preventative Medicine
- Wellness Practitioner
Potential careers for professionals with an MPH degree include:
Medical and Health Services Managers
Healthcare organizations need professionals with an understanding of the industry to help the organization run efficiently. Oversee the operations of medical and health services organizations, including hospitals, clinicals, managed care organizations, and public health agencies. Job titles can include clinical director, health manager, program manager, nurse manager, practice administrator, and more.
Community Health Workers
Explore roles where you help community members adopt healthier behaviors. Serve as an advocate while you help develop and implement programs to promote overall health.
Possible roles include program coordinator, outreach worker, community health worker, and more.
Help develop and implement a variety of health education programs. This can include preparing or distributing informational materials, or creating and leading presentations or workshops. Job titles include clinical instructor, community health consultant, education coordinator, health education specialist, and more.
Social and Human Service Assistants
Provide client support, such as helping identify available health benefits, social benefits, or community service options. You could work in a variety of sectors including social work, rehabilitation, and psychology. Job titles include addiction counselor assistant, advocate, residential care assistant, social work associate, and more.
Environmental Scientist and Specialists
Help identify and eliminate environmental hazards or pollutants, making recommendations to help promote public health. Possible job titles include environmental programs specialist, environmental scientist, hazardous substances scientist, and more.
Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
Design and implement programs to help protect workers from potentially hazardous materials or practices. Responsibilities could include performing inspections to ensure employers are adhering to laws and regulations regarding health and safety.
Job titles include environmental health and safety officer, safety consultant, safety officer, or safety specialty.
We’re here to help you succeed, from the moment you apply to beyond graduation. It all starts here.